Thursday, October 17, 2013

Velo Withdrawal

Earlier I posted about having to stay off the bike for a few weeks after a minor injury. It is now week 2 and I am climbing the walls. My mood, energy levels, and general sense of well being have plummeted after the velo-induced high of the past few months. I want to be on my favourite path, blissfully flying past the river and the meadows!

The addictive and stress-reducing qualities of cycling that many report are fairly typical reactions to aerobic exercise. Yet, I have never had this sort of response to any other form of physical activity. I hate jogging and going to the gym, and I get worn out by any sort of sport within minutes. This makes it especially difficult to explain how I am able to cycle for hours without getting tired.

It is not long now until I am able to cycle again. Still, this "withdrawal" is difficult to endure. How do you deal with having to take a break from cycling -- be it due to travel, weather conditions, health, or other obstacles?

No comments:

Post a Comment